In the previous article, we discussed – “What is Core Product Category of your Online Store and Why You Should Never Lose Focus of It?”
This brings us to the next question – “How many categories should an ecommerce business have?” The simple answer the questions is – the less categories, the better.
Don’t create a category just for the sake of having it.
Having too many categories not only dilutes your brand in longer run but also makes managing your business more complex.
Have less categories on your website is good for your business because:
- Less categories means less support.
- Less categories means less SEO related issues (due to canonical / duplication issues)
- Less people you need to hire to manage extra categories
- Less Organizational Complexity
- Simpler logistics involved in delivery of the products
- You make the life of your staff easy
Each time you add a new category, your business grows exponentially more complicated.
The less complex your business is, the more agile as a company you can be.
Thus, it’s better to just say no to a new category and maintain your vision for your Fashion Brand by staying focussed on your core product category.
A new category added should actually add value to your Brand. Instead of trying to sell more types of products, build a brand that sells less categories with high value.